Sunday 16 July, 2006

Home is where your heart lies....

This is the second time in the last couple of months that I have landed up in Kolkata. The first one was a nicely planned vacation of 10 days. Needless to say, I had a great time.... Infact, great is perhaps an understatement. It turned out to be one of the most memorable visits home...

This time, however, it was very very different. I booked the flight one afternoon sitting in the my desk, 3 days before I left Hyderabad. I was complaining to a friend that I cant go to Mumbai 'cause I am broke. I really want to, but I cant, and so on..... And then I get a call from my mum. In the next 10 minutes, I have a ticket printed in my hand. And then it struck me.... Its never been about the money. I have never really cared about cash.... Its home calling!!!!
This pull itself is quite amazing. I have been out of home for years now. I do feel homesick once in a while. But I was always ok with not coming down more than once or twice a year. But this time, the pull seemed to be very very strong. I guess I can attribute it to this house of mine here. When I landed in Kolkata 2 yrs back, I was not sure whether I had done the right thing... leaving a job, great friends, an amazing city, and above all, my freedom behind. But I found something in this house, which I had not felt earlier. I felt peace..................
Today when I know we are about to leave this house, I feel I am parting from a very dear entity in my life. Saying bye has never been easy for me. This time, it is turning out to be more difficult..... This has been a true 'home' for me.... After all, like they say, home is where your heart is.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you will always have a home in kolkata.

shaishav said...

You wouldn't believe the coincidences as to how i came to ur blog post.
The title of ur blog was something which i had plastered on my gtalk status this morning. Not that i had read ur post before, just random words in a not so content mind.
I just decided to google the line and came to ur blog.
Now picture this, i'm in Hyderabad, have been in bombay for that last 4 years having just recently left it, and my home is in calcutta.
and sadly i'm not getting a chance to go back home(kolkata)
too much of a coincidence. had to write a comment :)
Cheers and happy diwali!