Thursday 7 May, 2009

To pet or not to pet

I have never known myself as a lover of any species other than humans. Well not that I like most humans, but that apart, I have never really shown a lot of affection for the stray dog, the crow on my terrace, or the fish in the pond. I actually eat a lot of animal flesh (some people say I can eat anything that walks or crawls). But I have never felt a surge of love for them. In fact, if I remember correctly, I have usually been a little scared of them, especially the canines residing on the streets… I always told my parents I wanted a pet, and since none of them obliged I left it at that for all these years.


Things change, and so do people. And apparently so have I. Just like a number of things I am rediscovering about myself, I also discovered that I actually am quite affectionate towards the animal kingdom. I found a dog for my mum, and when I finally met her I realised she was one of the most adorable creatures I have laid my eyes on. I met the two kittens my friend has and realised I can totally live with them. I read Marley and me and wanted Marley for myself… And today when I see a pup or a kitty on the street, I often find myself on all fours trying to play with them.


My husband, on the other hand, has always been an animal lover. I got to know that he had brought a pup home when he was a kid. He had taken care of a sick cat in college, and he is now most enthusiastic about having a pet. And that is where the real test came in. While I have been saying I want to have a pet, I have started having doubts. But first, how I got into the situation of having a pet…

After moving to Mumbai we have been staying with a friend. A cat recently delivered a litter in his house, behind the TV cabinet to be more precise. When I discovered them, I was ecstatic… I immediately called a friend who is a real pet lover and we started dreaming of adopting them. It was only last night that I suddenly had a panic attack… It’s like always wanting a baby but suddenly you are actually pregnant… I started thinking of all the things I will have to do in the pretext of caring for the kitty… Litter cleaning, feeding, medical attention, etc etc etc. I just realised that it will be a massive task, where I will suddenly be responsible for another living being… And its freaking me out… So all those experienced pet lovers out there, please tell me what to do….

No comments: