Tuesday 9 June, 2009

Its a new life

It took us almost two months to find a corner for ourselves in Mumbai. Apart from the fact that we were financially challenged for a good part of it, the real estate god was also playing hide and seek with us. Of course, finally things did look up and as of May 10th 2009, we have become the proud tenants of a cute 1 BHK in a rather peaceful nook of Mumbai.

Let me confess, I was not very happy about it initially. I am an out and out Bandra girl. I have almost always lived there, and think its heaven in Mumbai. Of course, I can no more afford a place in that corner I love so much. So I had to settle for the next best. This is where my husband always stayed, and he completely adores it. I too warmed up to it eventually...

But this is not the only component of my new life. My marriage is slowly moving towards maturity, and just when I thought we had kind of settled down, we found a brand new thing to get all excited about. We got our first pet.

I had written about my fears and apprehensions of having a pet in my last post. I remember feeling very anxious, nervous and scared about letting another living creature enter our lives. Honestly, I was not sure how either of us were planning on handling it. But then, I guess sometimes you just get lucky.

We brought home this calico kitty, about two months old, tiny and shivering into our house one Saturday evening about a month ago. She mewed her heart out for the first two days, and then realised we were not monsters, and decided to give us a chance. Eventually she also decided that we might be interesting playmates and since then there has been no looking back. She litter-trained herself in 24 hrs and has been grooming herself from the very first day... She runs around the house, plays with us, and sleeps on us when she is tired... She is growing bigger each day, with a better appetite and strength to show off. We hardly hear her voice these days because she does not complain anymore...

So that's Kuku the wonder cat. The tiny thing has changed our lives completely. I never imagined it would make such a huge difference to have a fluffy furry living creature in the house. We have spent endless hours playing with her, cuddling her, talking baby-talk, or just watching her sleep... We have become the 'cat-people' who have loads of kitty stories to share with our friends & family. I go back home to her with a smile on my face. She is the best stress-buster I know... And what is amazing is that we seem to have become happier people....

So here's to my new life in Mumbai... Not only a new place, but a new phase of life all together... We have jobs, friends, a home to take care of, and a little kitten who means the world to us...


1 comment:

Kalyan Karmakar said...

Bombay is tough but addictive. Ask me about it. Congrats on getting a toe hold in.

Close friends of ours adopted a kitten too. Its become their first child now