Tuesday 3 April, 2007

Thats the Chowmahalla Palace in Hyderabad. Situated near Charminar, this palace was supposedly the retreat for the Nizam. Recently opened for public viewing, Times of India utilised the venue well for one of the most memorable concerts of my life.

I think the day itself was special. I had come out of office on the pretext of a depressing medical appointment, and found myself brooding over my miserable life, when this friend called to say she did manage to get the passes for us to attend a sarod recital in the old city. And what I experienced was quite unmatched to my expectations.
Sarod by none other than Ustad Amjad Ali Khan and his sons... Yes, I was prepared for the music. But it was the venue which took my breath away. As you walk in through the doors, a plush green courtyrad welcomes you... surrounded by the palace walls on all sides, and a glorius fountain in the middle.
Whether it was the maestro's brilliant performance, or the moonlight, or the chimes of the clock in the corner or the occasional evening namaz breezing in.... I found myself in a trance.... And I wish the evening never ended....

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Kumar Anshul said...

Thanks Piya for writing again. Your blog reminded me of the SPICMAKAY concert of Bismillah Khan that I attended in 2000. It was in the university, and i sat only 10 feet away from the maestro, listening to the mesmerising shehnai. I can understand how you must have felt, specially because of the place which made it even beautiful.
Keep writing.

deepthi vinod said...

ha lady welcome back to the world..of blogging...

Hermit said...

Anshul,concerts such as these leave a permenant impression in our memories. Am glad I could share this experience with you.

Deepthi, thanks for pushing me to write :)